Tuesday, July 31, 2012

a new perspective

Prepare yourself friends, I am about to become that yogini. I'm about to quote Guruji Iyengar. I've heard other instructors do it, I didn't love it when they did it. I am now one of them. And I get why they do it, this man is a genius. I mean he's not called Guruji for no reason right?
handstand prep

Today we worked on salamba sirsasana (headstand) for a long long long time. Salamba sirsanana is a pose people love, its pretty easy against a wall and you feel awesome doing it right? You think to yourself, I rock at yoga look at me on my head. You have a new perspective on life. You tell all your friends nonchalantly that you did a headstand today, what did they do?

On the other hand (stand, badum bum) headstand can be scary. Like really really scary. You're upside down. You could fall. In front of a room of people. And it would be really loud in the really quiet yoga studio.
half handstand (adho mukha vrkasana) on the wall (I know I'm taking about headstand and showing you pictures of headstand, just seeing if you're paying attention!)

Guruji Iyengar says, "The best way to overcome a fear is to face with equanimity the situation of which one is afraid. Then one gets the correct perspective, and one is not frightened anymore." 

Read that again. It's revolutionary. At least in my exhausted little head it is.
Going upside down the first time is scary, but if you go into it calm, prepared, ready to rock, its amazing. I can now tell you about 500 preps for headstand and handstand, just ask and I will be happy to share.

headstand prep against the wall
Upside down might not be the "correct perspective" but it sure is a different and interesting one. Certainly situation, however foreign, when approached in the way Iyengar suggests becomes easy. Scary things in life seem a little less so.

Namaste,
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment