Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day Four: Who you are in Yoga is who you are in the world.

Today I practiced at Green Monkey again, and was thrilled to see some old and new friends I hadn't seen in a while. I was in an awesome mood today and it totally reflected in my practice, I had one of the easiest practices I've had in a long time. Maybe this whole no days off thing really is a good idea. Maybe I was high on a guilty verdict. Either way I bounced my tush onto my mat and found myself taking extra chaturangas and vinyasas.

Jason Lawner led an incredible class. His theme tonight, and theres always a theme in a Jason class, was taking notice of your tendencies. Umm Hi Jason, thats a suuuuuuuper uncomfortable thing to do. I like prancing through life pretending to be perfect and here you are kind of ruining that for me.

post yoga bliss with the gang

OK, so its a pretty valid point he's bringing up. If you cheat at yoga, its something that only you really know. Let's be honest no one is hurt by this. The guy next to you doesn't have his practice effected in any way by your cheating. What do I mean by cheating you ask? We've all done it. The instructor says, firm up, brighten, melt and we.... do nothing. We chill right where we are.

In life those who share our lives aren't quite so lucky, if we cheat, they probably get cheated. Of our time, our love, our attention. Maybe of something more important, we might actually harm someone by cheating. I am notorious about lying about how far away I am from somewhere, I always say I'm closer than I am because, truthfully, I'm embarrassed to be running late. I think being late is a sign of disrespect and I don't want to be disrespectful.

Jason's point today was just to take notice of our tendencies, not necessarily to change them. But the challenge I extend to you is when you notice you are cheating to not only take note of it but maybe to shift. Now I'm not asking you to change your life, but maybe a little bump as I would call it in my spin class. Take a little bump of a change, just enough so you notice it. I'm going to be a little more conscious of my time and the time of others.

Also going to actually engage my legs in forward bends. Yea, I've totally been cheating there.

Yours in sweatyness,

Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment